FALL LEAVES

Today Al was out burning the brush pile and I was out in the veggie garden pulling up the last of the green beans.  All of a sudden I got a big whiff of the smoke from the fire as it drifted around to the back of the house.  Oh, the smell of burning leaves instantly puts me back to the old farm house that had lots of maple trees all around it.  Dad would rake the leaves into the ditch by the road and burn the leaves.  I was big enough to be able to hang around while the leaves were burning.  That smell was burned into my brain and now wherever we might go and I would get a whiff of that burning smell, instantly I would be transferred right back to that spot by the side of the road and I can see my Dad standing there leaning on the rake handle.  Thank God that even though our loved ones have gone on before us, they are still instantly there with us in a moments notice that a memory pops up. Thank  You God for the gift of memories.

Comments

  1. The fall is full of Maine memories. Enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

post alert

A TROMBONE